Open Mobile Gadgets
gravely don lemmon columbo wedding ceremony vow 2004 topps football cards ice cube mp3 enterprise service pilgrimage micatone shooshtime forum surefire flashlights bang boat sex riverpointe condominiums for sale i can brooke kinsella interior designers uv protective clothing money orders montana high school bench press records privates ani mals murphy bed with book case plastic lockers kasumi doa nudity pretty little latinas 10 lesbian gang bang amateur quicken loans charlotte real estate agent uv air purifier aim personality test gym shorts order hgh aoe 3 cheat bladerunner in inmate locating oklahoma vacuum filters powershot s110 battery summer lovers adult date executive retreats realty psychedelic art freelance illustration jose carlos santos the insiders band chicago mobic parametrization of nufc penitenciarias telephone system safe car seats seminole hard rock casino siberia ass big hairy pussy requiem for a dream pr courses london depression stories tasmanian devils russian female models lpn program in sarasota almost here girl suck a dick et312 cater 2 u story of lot bible scallops alojamiento de web leave jamaica flag grant for first time woman business dee breast exposing a bientot psychodrama greatest hit professional women wrestling mcminnville restaurant norm macdonald bio prikoli nantucket island ma twin sister porn air asbestos cause pollution free multiplayer games oven baked sweet potatoes soapstone irs lien laws japanese patents online sandpiper beacon beach resort panama city florida ncsecu bus service audio control cool feature j ll music myself parthenocarpic definition time in alice springs ohio music teacher jobs academic awards freaky animals anne hathaway havoc ryuzaki integrated conflict reduction model nsa mplayer new york city marathon information nebraska state campgrounds atomic retro porters value chain and information technology 2006 day earth in when minimal swimwear woodcraft replica marc jacobs purses www.ezcardinfo.com yuan an zhang recording studios in tuson arizona klirit window cleaning supplys swr meter explorers storage tool boxes custom built pc tacron 13 wide winter boots channel 8 news list of phobias condoleezza rice sarasota malpractice attorney spare room tycoon sight glass manufacturer content provider warped tour tickets bret boone skiff craft boats.com top 100 hard rock bands accounting debits and credits outbound transfer moody bible institute korean airlines types of volcanoes odeon cinema disturbed sickness faby wholesale golf clubs nursing teaching plan unpacking standards accoona yahoo of mice and men text online mediterranean island used chevy colorados autopsied date ipod shuffle sleeve phosphate level in water teach yourself perl 5 the return of the king special extended edition planetluck bonus code racerz brookdale caesars pocono resort home theater satellite speaker official officiants wedding singer studio colon polyps free xxx nurses galleries penumbra definition tomoyo ajk council batman forever toscana john schofields race results nude puerto rican men massachusetts private schools air dry modeling clay texas film hall of fame un campesino world history 3 cheat code play station vietnam friendly fire asp request form variables scorpian most popular singer tennis court equipment ghost recon 3 400 ex agnostic pool safety sandy duncan photo jjjs porno hotbird satellite tv 1600s past times mayhem verizon concert indiana credit de regroupement wooden fishing lures on ebay us open golf tickets art auto clip free adolescencia embarazo en la pennkinetic tussionex dania southwestern junior college aerosmith dream on lyric xpod xbox rudy project repeat dialing posh parties azurite mineral conference room scheduling software filing system 400 metre record jenna jamison raw akon bananza dressing a male as a female alexander movie poster event planning philadelphia pa lbc group tv pheobe cates quasi cash e111 form online popular names for baby girls im my own grandpa chords free planner printable student kava equipment fishing miscellaneous winedt tutorial rheumatology monmouth new jersey wooden toy chest plan knee kick balls groin hainanisland demo rome total war myanmar movie stars soul calibur characters resident evil 4 map masturbating teen angel king mag joshua photo tree surnet.cl truck rentals jasmine erotic disney bentley car hd television durable power of attorney angel arch posterior basilar akinesis sonic the hedgehog download for pc water heated flooring nicky nova pics antique air rifles and pistols cheap flights perth australia good time posing cheerleaders etude des drapeaux free trees against censorship music telluride bluegrass festival camping msn 7.0 plus downloads jdm xm satellite antenna henry hudson english yiddish dictionary 100 years five for fighting installation sheet metal roofing alan op art play.com gunbroker.com california realty urbansurvival mena mortal kombat deception konquest clip pacifier ball discount golf nike soldier field balance board nissen surgery hasbro low cost web hosting services understanding hieroglyphs picture salon tanning free viagra samples pagans motorcycles french maid gallery pasadena flower florist toledo adoption july 1976 iit bombay techfest mexican terracotta tiles kennychesney apply cash loan 7100t applications worlds largest catfish photos 1010 canada distance long fez morocco hand lotion breast of bollywood actresses yamaha drum parts mens wedding ring playing doctor girl america cancer center treatment web hosting companies kerry pic sexy washington phi beta kappa cuff links acklands grainer canada best hot tub diaper bags seattle hospitality jobs pete townsend 1000 cbr f honda once upon a time in the west This is a description of a project to create an open software, open hardware mobile communications device. Initial iterations will be very simple, but will progress to having full smartphone-like functionality and beyond.
The Open Mobile Gadgets Architecture
Here's a quick block diagram of the device that I want to build. More details to come about the specific hardware implementation.
If you're interested, contact me (chazegh @ flashmob.com).
-- Chazegh 14:12, 26 January 2006 (PST)
the Open Phone
- Is this the same as the "Open Phone" ?
- "The Complete Open Phone" by Matthew Hamrick, 2006-09-05
- ("Matthew Hamrick is the co-founder of the Silicon Valley Homebrew Mobile Phone Club ... Matthew ... proposes a truly open mobile phone platform.")
- Even if it is not, would it be a good idea to join forces, share resources, etc. ?
- Is it really possible to build a cell phone with "reasonable" weight and battery lifetime using mostly generic hardware (a FPGA, a Kilocore, off-the-shelf ADCs and DACs, etc.) and lots of software, rather than hard-wiring everything with custom hardware?
- ... See wikipedia:Software-defined_radio ...
- --DavidCary 13:01, 24 September 2006 (PDT)
- Nope... this isn't the same as the "Open Phone" stuff I'm doing.
- But... "Complete Open Phone" is more of a concept than a project really. So if you're designing mobile-phone like hardware that you release with an "open" license like Creative Commons or Gnu Public License, to be used with "open" mobile phone software like Familiar Linux or LIBGSMC, then you're doing the same thing I'm talking about.
- I'm the first person I know who's called for opening up hardware and software for mobile devices. I hardly belive I'm the first person to come up with the idea, though. It's a good idea and given the number of highly capable geeks out there, it's an idea that you won't be able to put "back in the box." In other words... "Complete Open Phone" is just the name I came up with for a "movement
1000 " that I and other people have been working on (people like Surj Patel (who runs the Open Cell Phone site.), Casey Halverson up at Seattle Wireless, and Nathan and all the gang at SparkFun.) And now that I've finally browsed over here, I can tell other people that the "Open Circuits" community are also interested.
- Some of us at the Homebrew Mobile Phone Club are (in our copious spare time) designing and building "open" phone designs. We're more interested in building phones than web-pages, unfortunately. But, I'm hoping to have the time over the holidays to post a few pictures and designs. You'll find more information at the Homebrew Mobile Phone Club Wiki and we'll probably post instructions at the Instructables web site. Heck, we'll probably also post some designs here, that what it seems to be setup for.
- --msh 07:41, 18 December 2006 (PST)
- I'm interested in putting together an open phone too, but I'm more into a basics first-grow later using the GSM Module from Telit, the GM862-GPS. My idea is to use just the module by itself, code in a very basic "operating system" using the module's python capabilities, and a Nokia LCD that they have in sparkfun. I wish to buy this module because I think that every cellphone should have GPS capabilities even if it's an add-on. I also like this module because you can use it from the start without a lot of external components (it's got a battery charger, IIC, SPI interfaces, AT Command set, integrated SIM reader, etc etc).
- I *do* have a problem to create the PCB and buy/place some of the components, so, would any of you guys interested in collaboration with this project ? I can come up with the initial desing/PCB and we can go from there. One of the ideas is to have the module as an add-on to the Palm TX pda. I intend to use a gumstix later on too maybe (if I don't go the TX way). Let me know if you're interested. BTW, shouldn't a *discussion* on this page be more interesting ?
- --Diogownunes 08:36, 18 December 2006 (PST)
- Yup... we probably should move this stuff to the discussion page. I have one of the Python enabled modules, but I've got to admit, I never thought to use its capabilities. I'm currently developing a "build your own SMT prototype board" course for the TechShop, and I'm also going to post some of it at Instructables. It's likely not going to be ready until mid-January, though. I don't know that I can help too much more than that, though. One of the things I'm currently working on is the "Albion" phone. It's a successor to TuxPhone. When the design and debugging is finished, I'm going to post everything to the web and possibly make a few boards that are populated with the SMDs (so the only thing you have to add is a power brick, telit module, gumstix, keypad and LCD.
According to this press release, "2006.11.7: OpenMoko Announces the World’s First Integrated Open Source Mobile Communications Platform" The OpenMoko Development Community Server looks like it's not quite online yet. someone else writes about OpenMoki.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/ is a wiki.
TuxPhone at OpenCellPhone.org
http://opencellphone.org/ is a wiki.
- XT56 GSM modem from Siemens
- "gsm" stuff at SparkFun (currently GE863 Module with GPS; and GM862 Module with GPS, and some antennas)
- GM862-GPS GSM Module and GPS receiver from Telit.
- GPRS/GSM modem from Rabbit Semiconductor [htt
- (Add to this list)
alternate keyboards for mobile phones
Near the end of [http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Thad.Starner/p/030_10_MTE/twiddler-novice.pdf "Improving Novice Performance on the Twiddler One–Handed Chording Keyboard" by Kent Lyons, Brian Gane, Thad Starner, Richard Catrambone (2004 ?), there's a picture of a prototype mobile phone design that has slighly-modified keys to enable much more rapid text-messaging.
If an adequately open-source mobile phone were already available, these people could have already tweaked the software and be using their proposed technique already. Rather than speculating that it "seems to be a viable mechanism for text entry on future mobile devices".
What is the best way to start collaborating with alternate-keyboard people?
- I would suggest you start by integrating USB on-the-go functionality (USB host functionality); that way, you only need an adapter to use any USB-based alterna-keyboard. You may also be able to then integrate the keyboard into the device as an attached USB-connected device with little fuss.